July 2, 2015
While keeping a food journal might require a bit of diligence, our patients continually relate that it is a tremendously helpful tool in their journey to health. Food journals can help pinpoint specific foods that may be causing symptoms such as bloating or poor sleep. The journals also help patients become more aware when making daily food choices and stay accountable for what’s included on their nourishing dinner plates.
When changing ones diet for the better this often means cutting out some of the foods that may have been staples in the past. But there is good news! Once you go grain free, enjoying a delicious treat at breakfast doesn’t have to be a thing of the past.
The Wellness Mama has shared a tasty recipe for apple cinnamon muffins that are grain-free, low sugar and quite healthy!
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup homemade applesauce (store bought works too)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2-3 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 T honey (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Put all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix with immersion blender or whisk until well mixed.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Use ⅓ cup measure to spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until starting to brown and not soft when lightly touched on the top.
- Let cool 2 minutes, drizzle with honey (if desired) and serve.
Check out her website for additions to change the flavor of your muffins!