With a typical American diet replete with processed foods, grains, and desserts, it is no wonder we are faced with a blood sugar crisis in our homes. All of those foods, grains included, cause a serious spike in blood glucose levels. The rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease are reaching unprecedented levels in both adults and children.
According to natural health expert Dr. Mercola (1):
- In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.
- In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!
So how is it that sugar affects the body anyways?
- You eat and digest food. Digested food releases glucose.
- Glucose enters the bloodstream and raises blood sugar levels.
- Rise in blood sugar triggers pancreas to release insulin.
- Insulin tells cells to use glucose for energy or store it.
- The less energy burned, the more fatty acids stored.
- More fatty acids stored may result in weight gain.
Many processed or refined foods contain simple carbohydrates, which have the greatest impact on blood sugar. These simple carbohydrates break down into glucose that enters the bloodstream quickly, affecting insulin release. this rush of glucose can create an energy spike followed by a deep drop in blood sugar and energy. You can be caught in a vicious cycle of craving sugar, eating it, feeling tired, and craving it again. (2)
If you have the will power and determination to cut out every unnecessary sugar from your diet, over time your health will improve monumentally.
Not sure you can take the plunge to detox sugar from your diet on your own? You’re in luck! The wonderful folks at Young and Raw have developed an extremely impressive, user-friendly and results-driven iPhone app to help you detox sugar from your diet in just SEVEN days! Costing only $1.99, your money will be well spent on a handy tool that can help you spring board into a sugar free lifestyle.
Meals and snacks planned out for seven days? This app has it.
Shopping lists, organized by recipe or by aisle, for seven days? This app has it.
Encouragement and education about doing a sugar detox? Yep. This app has that too.
In addition to lifestyle changes and diet regulation, we have various supplements at The Spring Center for Natural Medicine to help you overcome your struggles with sugar. Some of the high quality products we recommend for blood sugar regulation include: MediHerb Standard Process’ Gymnema (which contains extracts of the gymnema leaf that helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels within a normal range when combined with a balanced diet) and Neuroscience’s Daxitrol (a blend of ingredients that targets the end of the neurotrasmitter spectrum that has to do with cravings and rewards).
Here at The Spring Center for Natural Medicine, we want to help you reach your health goals naturally. If you are having symptoms associated with blood sugar issues, check out this app and set up an appointment with us for a health evaluation. Call 512-445-7373 today and see how we can help you get healthy!
Don’t forget to follow The Spring Center for Natural Medicine on Facebook for daily health updates and encouraging information to help you educate yourself!
1. Fructose: This Addictive Commonly Used Food Feeds Cancer Cells, Triggers Weight Gain, and Promotes Premature Aging by Dr. Mercola April 10, 2010 http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/04/20/sugar-dangers.aspx
2. Standard Process, Sugar in Disguise, 2014. https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Literature/Sugar-in-Disguise-Brochure,-25-pack